Photographing with style │ Instant Fever

By SHERE - February 18, 2015




If you are familiar with this blog, this isn't my first post about the fuji instant film camera or instant film photos. I am a HUGE FAN of instant film photos (no matter it's polaroid or fuji or any kind of vintage cameras), not only it gives out that vintage feeling but you can actually capture the very moment that you want and actually own that moment instantly. 

There was a time period that I didn't use this camera as often (due to different reasons like time and lack of film refills), but why buy the camera and put there for a waste right? So I eventually got up and bought a stack of film refills for my camera, so I have no more any excuses not to use it. And turns out that I do consumed the films in a very short period of time as I brought it out in nearly every single occasions when I am hanging out with my friends or boyfriend to some very special places. Well, some of it are not that special, it's just that I wanted to capture something for that day. 
Most of the instant photos I captured above are from the day I went to Disney with my boyfriend, surely a moment that is worth capturing because I am a huge Disney fan, not ashamed to admit this but I'm incredibly in love with going to Disney despite those games are not as good as Universal Studio's ones. 

But here is the key, some of you may think that instant film camera is a pain in the ass, why buy something made in the technologies of a hundred years ago when you have a DSLR that can do everything right? 


By far my favorite instant photo out of all of it, taken when we were queuing for the roller-coaster in Disney, just like an album art huh?
Instant film camera is different from DSLR (apart from functions obviously). It's all about capturing that very precious moment and actually own it. You can put it up on the wall and look at it instead of going through your photo library on your phone, it is surely something. Using an instant film camera well requires incredibly techniques, sometimes even when you are good at using DSLR doesn't mean that you can handle an instant film camera. It is known that instant film camera cannot be changed once it is done, so you have to make sure that everything infront of that camera is ready, even the weather, the sunlight, everything, before you fire that shutter. I love how it is challenging to use an instant film camera, it requires a lot of practices to be frank, and it is not easy especially I'm using one of those instant film cameras which is not automatic, everything requires your own control. That's what I love about it, it has to be totally original. You can adjust your exposure however you want, without the automatic sensor to correct the exposure for you, that you can shoot different styles of photos just like a DSLR but with a sense of old-fashioned in it. 

Exposure, for any cameras, is always the key. But for instant film cameras, it is the most important thing. For every photography style of instant film camera, adjusting the light exposure can produce different effect.

Low Key is when you adjust a lower light exposure mode than you are supposed to, this adds more shadow to the photo causing the image to be sharper. If you are shooting portraits of people with low key, it can highlights their facial features just like what those people did with photoshop. The above photo is so far my favorite instant film photo with low key, taken in Disneyland with my boyfriend when we were waiting for the roller-coaster queue. Low key makes the environment slightly a little darker and the people in the middle to be a little paler as a highlight. 


For high key, you will have to adjust a higher light exposure mode than you are supposed to, this makes the photo paler, brighter like a soft focus in the DSLR. Everything in the photo will appear to be softer (if you want to know more about the high key function, you can refer it back to my previous post).

For more different photography styles with the instant film camera, you may leave your comments down there in the comment box.

xoxo

 photo 2014-07-12195239_zps70c99036.jpg

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments